Earlier  
Posted Nick Remark
#openstack-nova - 2024-08-29
12:34:29 sean-k-mooney yes regressed
12:35:02 sean-k-mooney we run "sphinx-build -W --keep-going -b html -j auto doc/source doc/build/html"
12:35:13 sean-k-mooney -W is fail-on-warnings
12:37:48 auniyal bhola can you check nova and cinder logs for detailed traceback
12:40:29 sean-k-mooney bhola: as a general rule we do not provide support on this channel. it for development but if you can point ot a spefici error messge then we may be able to point you in the right direction
12:40:56 sean-k-mooney bhola: also without know which version of openstack you installed we cant really say what might be the issue
12:41:25 sean-k-mooney and which distro
12:46:58 sean-k-mooney frickler: there are some followups we likely shoudl do for https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/927471
12:47:15 sean-k-mooney it should be in .gitignore for one
12:47:22 sean-k-mooney but lest unblock things and do that after
12:47:54 bauzas I was awaiting people to arrive before deciding anything
12:48:12 stephenfin sean-k-mooney: frickler: yeah, https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/927471 looks like the proper approach. I'm +2 on that also.
12:48:56 bauzas I tend to be conservative as we're close to the FF and probably ask ourselves to temporarly avoid the sphinx bump
12:49:34 bauzas Dalmatian is a non-SlURP release, I feel less obliged to have all our libs being upgraded, if we don't really need the upgrade itself
12:49:40 bauzas and other issues may arise
12:49:50 sean-k-mooney i dont think that a good approch to take
12:50:08 sean-k-mooney we shoudl not devalue non-slurp release
12:50:16 sean-k-mooney they are just as imporant as SLURPS
12:50:32 bauzas is there any reason for nova to use sphinx 8.0 ?
12:50:51 frickler IMHO we have the freeze coming up soon in order to still have enough time before the release to fix issues, not in order to avoid bumping things even before that
12:50:52 sean-k-mooney i belive we have been for some time
12:50:56 bauzas sean-k-mooney: I'm not devaluating the non-SLURP releases, I'm just evaluating the risks
12:51:07 frickler why not use the latest and greatest version as we do for everything?
12:51:16 sean-k-mooney bauzas: this is blockign seveeral feature that are close to merging in this release
12:51:33 sean-k-mooney so the trade of to fixing this now is FFE into the early rc period
12:52:14 sean-k-mooney there are several small feature and bugfix pathces that i dont think would be reasonabel to just defer to the next release
12:52:33 bhola auniyal, Just a sec. Let me see in the log.
12:52:45 bauzas sean-k-mooney: for the sake of evaluating the need, which features are depending on the very recent sphinx bump ? (I may have missed them)
12:52:55 sean-k-mooney none
12:53:03 sean-k-mooney but this is currently break our ablity to merge patches
12:53:20 bauzas hence my proposal to skip the bump, for sure
12:53:24 stephenfin bauzas: sphinx isn't a runtime dependency, the docs are not a "feature" (so talk of FFE doesn't make sense), and Nova is doing something wrong and Sphinx is only pointing it out now
12:54:02 sean-k-mooney stephenfin: i ment for all the feature patches that failed to meger last night and that we cant merge today until this is fixed
12:54:04 bhola sean-k-mooney, The versioning system of openstack always confuses me. I think there are different versions of every service. Are you referring to openstack client toll version?
12:54:20 bauzas stephenfin: I'm not against docs, for sure, I'm just evaluating the risk of discovering a late bug that would require some RC2
12:54:31 stephenfin I don't know if folks like frickler that work on deps would agree, but IMO we should need a *very* good reason to hold back a dep bump
12:54:41 sean-k-mooney bhola: no we have a unified release when you install you normally install that unified release.
12:54:58 sean-k-mooney so while ech componet may have a diffent release number you isntall one release of openstack
12:55:03 bauzas a regression sounds a good reason to me :)
12:55:12 stephenfin bauzas: Right. But again, sphinx is not a runtime dependency. So talk of an RC2 doesn't make any sense.
12:55:58 bauzas this is true, but I wouldn't want our dalmatian branch to be hit by some unknown yet regression
12:56:27 bauzas after RC1, you know that we would have this 2 weeks period when no backports can be done on stables
12:57:31 bauzas anyway, seems to me the ship has sailed. https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/927471 is +Wd
12:57:45 frickler so IMO https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/927471 is a very simple, no-risk fix, and much better than reverting the u-c bump for everyone
12:58:00 stephenfin +1
12:58:05 sean-k-mooney +1
12:58:10 bauzas I was just explaining why I didn't reviewed such patch while the gate was blocked : I was awaiting quorum before proceeding
12:58:26 stephenfin #shipit 🚢
12:58:40 sean-k-mooney you wanted qourm on if we shoudl unblock the gate
12:58:44 sean-k-mooney ?
12:58:57 bauzas no and you know that
12:59:11 bauzas I wanted quorum on the approach we would take on fixing the gate
12:59:27 sean-k-mooney bauzas: if we didnt unblock this in a timely manner i would be asking use to extend our FF deadline into next week
12:59:36 bauzas anyway, 2 +2s and +W, you no longer need me
12:59:59 bauzas sean-k-mooney: I was about to propose that and you know that too
13:00:09 sean-k-mooney no i dont
13:00:19 bauzas then, look at previous FFs
13:00:34 sean-k-mooney bauzas: you were form my perspecitve taking a very non contibutor feindly stance
13:00:43 sean-k-mooney we normally dont extend into next week
13:00:55 sean-k-mooney we normaly say if its +w by friday it can merge until monday
13:01:30 bauzas we had a couple of milestone-3 freaking issues with gate that were providing our code to merge
13:01:33 sean-k-mooney i was suggesting we aloow review to continue until tuesday and +w until firday to give addtional review time
13:01:35 bauzas in the past
13:01:47 bauzas gate stability isn't code review
13:02:00 bauzas anyway, I have many other things to do today so I stop talking
13:05:46 bauzas ok
13:06:01 bauzas (sorry, wrong window)
13:06:56 bhola sean-k-mooney, I am sorry but I must admit that I am new to openstack. I installed it on Ubunto 22.04.4 server version without setting up any special repository. How I can check it? openstack --version returns 5.8.0
13:10:08 bhola sean-k-mooney, horizon shows 22.1.1
13:11:01 sean-k-mooney honestly im sorry to say we likely dont have time to help and this proably somethign that hsould be brought up on the mailing list instead
13:11:36 sean-k-mooney bhola: we gennerally recommend isntalling openstack with an installer the ifrst time before trying a manual install
13:12:07 sean-k-mooney if you did the manual instlal there are two many way you could have incorrectly configured or installed it and if your using the disto packages they can have divergance form the upstream release
13:12:18 frickler sean-k-mooney: except our (openstack's) install guide tells a different story
13:12:27 frickler bhola: let's move to #openstack
13:12:45 sean-k-mooney frickler: the one that distors were ment to maintain not the project that were inhired form the docs project
13:13:17 frickler sean-k-mooney: yes, that's why I agree that the discussion should not in this channel
13:13:27 frickler +continue
13:13:40 bhola frickler, I am there now
13:14:07 opendevreview Merged openstack/nova master: Delete ./doc/source/_static/support-matrix.css file https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/927471
13:14:23 sean-k-mooney frickler: ^ :)
13:15:16 frickler ok, now to recheck stephen's doc tools stack
13:18:32 sean-k-mooney ya ill abandon my targeted patchand we can proceed with his more comprehensive ones
14:30:16 gibi Uggla: bauzas: re further testing the virtiofs series: rescue works as expected, rebuild still needs to be blocked (or fixed not to lose the share). Server events works well. Notification mostly works but shares are always null for the instance.update notification specifically.
14:31:03 gibi left comments inline in the sereis
14:31:05 gibi series
14:31:45 Uggla gibi, thx
14:36:09 gibi I will dig deeper tot he instance.update case as that feels very strange
14:37:42 opendevreview Dan Smith proposed openstack/nova master: Support glance's new location API https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/891036
14:38:47 opendevreview Dan Smith proposed openstack/nova master: Support glance's new location API https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/891036
14:39:15 opendevreview Dan Smith proposed openstack/nova master: Support glance's new location API https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/891036
14:39:18 dansmith guh, sorry for the noise
14:39:59 sean-k-mooney has the missing client support landed
14:40:05 dansmith yes
14:40:30 sean-k-mooney cool, looks like that green before the rebase so ill take a look at it now
14:40:56 dansmith well, before it was running without the change
14:41:05 dansmith but the DNM on top was including it
14:41:16 sean-k-mooney ok i tough it had a depend on before
14:41:18 dansmith we had to test with and without the glanceclient change and with and without the actual server-side change,
14:41:27 dansmith hence the two patches and complex deps linkage
14:41:43 dansmith so this next run will be the first with updated server and client from package, etc

Earlier   Later