Earlier  
Posted Nick Remark
#openstack-nova - 2024-08-29
12:22:30 frickler sean-k-mooney: then maybe we are talking about two different issues, can you point me to one of your failures?
12:22:56 sean-k-mooney there is a new sphinx removal warning for sphinx 9
12:23:13 frickler yes, but afaict that is non-fatal
12:23:14 sean-k-mooney we treat warnings as errors
12:23:24 sean-k-mooney so in the gate it is
12:24:24 frickler in the docs build? are you telling me my patch passes in check but will fail in gate pipeline? that would be a pretty bad design IMO
12:25:02 sean-k-mooney no
12:25:19 sean-k-mooney i thnk you test willl fail now that the new verison of sphinx is allwoed
12:25:29 frickler no, it ran after that
12:27:26 sean-k-mooney maybe we are exluding
12:27:28 sean-k-mooney /home/zuul/src/opendev.org/openstack/nova/.tox/docs/lib/python3.10/site-packages/openstackdocstheme/page_context.py:70: RemovedInSphinx90Warning: Sphinx 9 will drop support for representing paths as strings. Use "pathlib.Path" or "os.fspath" instead.
12:27:30 sean-k-mooney src_file = full_src_file[len(str(app.builder.env.srcdir)):].lstrip('/')
12:27:42 auniyal but shouldn't we just delete too, if its problametic, and deleting fixes the issue also, like what this patch is doing https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/927471
12:27:46 sean-k-mooney form what is fatal
12:28:04 auniyal or it can cause any other error ?
12:28:20 frickler check https://ca0e8b358c93d8e83ff8-d2c9747c19735a1cd74d2b5484a5c4b3.ssl.cf5.rackcdn.com/927471/1/check/openstack-tox-docs/8034b4b/job-output.txt , using sphinx-8.0.2, lots of warning, no failure
12:30:13 frickler the failure is this: WARNING: Aborted attempted copy from /home/zuul/src/opendev.org/openstack/nova/.tox/docs/lib/python3.10/site-packages/sphinx_feature_classification/support-matrix.css to /home/zuul/src/opendev.org/openstack/nova/doc/build/html/_static/support-matrix.css (the destination path has existing data). [misc.copy_overwrite]
12:30:18 frickler build finished with problems, 1 warning.
12:31:18 sean-k-mooney so your current change is passign so im just going to merge it but i think we regruest how our docs job works at some point
12:32:28 bhola Hi. Looking for some help. I have installed openstack following the installation guide on openstack site. Everything seems to be working good but I cannot launch an instance. It throws the error "Block Device Mapping is Invalid: failed to get image" if I use image. If I use pre-defined volume based on image it throws error "Block Device Mapping is Invalid: failed to get volume"
12:32:43 bhola Any idea how to fix this issue?
12:32:59 frickler sean-k-mooney: regruest = regressed? (I can parse most of your typos but not sure on this one)
12:34:29 sean-k-mooney yes regressed
12:35:02 sean-k-mooney we run "sphinx-build -W --keep-going -b html -j auto doc/source doc/build/html"
12:35:13 sean-k-mooney -W is fail-on-warnings
12:37:48 auniyal bhola can you check nova and cinder logs for detailed traceback
12:40:29 sean-k-mooney bhola: as a general rule we do not provide support on this channel. it for development but if you can point ot a spefici error messge then we may be able to point you in the right direction
12:40:56 sean-k-mooney bhola: also without know which version of openstack you installed we cant really say what might be the issue
12:41:25 sean-k-mooney and which distro
12:46:58 sean-k-mooney frickler: there are some followups we likely shoudl do for https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/927471
12:47:15 sean-k-mooney it should be in .gitignore for one
12:47:22 sean-k-mooney but lest unblock things and do that after
12:47:54 bauzas I was awaiting people to arrive before deciding anything
12:48:12 stephenfin sean-k-mooney: frickler: yeah, https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/927471 looks like the proper approach. I'm +2 on that also.
12:48:56 bauzas I tend to be conservative as we're close to the FF and probably ask ourselves to temporarly avoid the sphinx bump
12:49:34 bauzas Dalmatian is a non-SlURP release, I feel less obliged to have all our libs being upgraded, if we don't really need the upgrade itself
12:49:40 bauzas and other issues may arise
12:49:50 sean-k-mooney i dont think that a good approch to take
12:50:08 sean-k-mooney we shoudl not devalue non-slurp release
12:50:16 sean-k-mooney they are just as imporant as SLURPS
12:50:32 bauzas is there any reason for nova to use sphinx 8.0 ?
12:50:51 frickler IMHO we have the freeze coming up soon in order to still have enough time before the release to fix issues, not in order to avoid bumping things even before that
12:50:52 sean-k-mooney i belive we have been for some time
12:50:56 bauzas sean-k-mooney: I'm not devaluating the non-SLURP releases, I'm just evaluating the risks
12:51:07 frickler why not use the latest and greatest version as we do for everything?
12:51:16 sean-k-mooney bauzas: this is blockign seveeral feature that are close to merging in this release
12:51:33 sean-k-mooney so the trade of to fixing this now is FFE into the early rc period
12:52:14 sean-k-mooney there are several small feature and bugfix pathces that i dont think would be reasonabel to just defer to the next release
12:52:33 bhola auniyal, Just a sec. Let me see in the log.
12:52:45 bauzas sean-k-mooney: for the sake of evaluating the need, which features are depending on the very recent sphinx bump ? (I may have missed them)
12:52:55 sean-k-mooney none
12:53:03 sean-k-mooney but this is currently break our ablity to merge patches
12:53:20 bauzas hence my proposal to skip the bump, for sure
12:53:24 stephenfin bauzas: sphinx isn't a runtime dependency, the docs are not a "feature" (so talk of FFE doesn't make sense), and Nova is doing something wrong and Sphinx is only pointing it out now
12:54:02 sean-k-mooney stephenfin: i ment for all the feature patches that failed to meger last night and that we cant merge today until this is fixed
12:54:04 bhola sean-k-mooney, The versioning system of openstack always confuses me. I think there are different versions of every service. Are you referring to openstack client toll version?
12:54:20 bauzas stephenfin: I'm not against docs, for sure, I'm just evaluating the risk of discovering a late bug that would require some RC2
12:54:31 stephenfin I don't know if folks like frickler that work on deps would agree, but IMO we should need a *very* good reason to hold back a dep bump
12:54:41 sean-k-mooney bhola: no we have a unified release when you install you normally install that unified release.
12:54:58 sean-k-mooney so while ech componet may have a diffent release number you isntall one release of openstack
12:55:03 bauzas a regression sounds a good reason to me :)
12:55:12 stephenfin bauzas: Right. But again, sphinx is not a runtime dependency. So talk of an RC2 doesn't make any sense.
12:55:58 bauzas this is true, but I wouldn't want our dalmatian branch to be hit by some unknown yet regression
12:56:27 bauzas after RC1, you know that we would have this 2 weeks period when no backports can be done on stables
12:57:31 bauzas anyway, seems to me the ship has sailed. https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/927471 is +Wd
12:57:45 frickler so IMO https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/nova/+/927471 is a very simple, no-risk fix, and much better than reverting the u-c bump for everyone
12:58:00 stephenfin +1
12:58:05 sean-k-mooney +1
12:58:10 bauzas I was just explaining why I didn't reviewed such patch while the gate was blocked : I was awaiting quorum before proceeding
12:58:26 stephenfin #shipit 🚢
12:58:40 sean-k-mooney you wanted qourm on if we shoudl unblock the gate
12:58:44 sean-k-mooney ?
12:58:57 bauzas no and you know that
12:59:11 bauzas I wanted quorum on the approach we would take on fixing the gate
12:59:27 sean-k-mooney bauzas: if we didnt unblock this in a timely manner i would be asking use to extend our FF deadline into next week
12:59:36 bauzas anyway, 2 +2s and +W, you no longer need me
12:59:59 bauzas sean-k-mooney: I was about to propose that and you know that too
13:00:09 sean-k-mooney no i dont
13:00:19 bauzas then, look at previous FFs
13:00:34 sean-k-mooney bauzas: you were form my perspecitve taking a very non contibutor feindly stance
13:00:43 sean-k-mooney we normally dont extend into next week
13:00:55 sean-k-mooney we normaly say if its +w by friday it can merge until monday
13:01:30 bauzas we had a couple of milestone-3 freaking issues with gate that were providing our code to merge
13:01:33 sean-k-mooney i was suggesting we aloow review to continue until tuesday and +w until firday to give addtional review time
13:01:35 bauzas in the past
13:01:47 bauzas gate stability isn't code review
13:02:00 bauzas anyway, I have many other things to do today so I stop talking
13:05:46 bauzas ok
13:06:01 bauzas (sorry, wrong window)
13:06:56 bhola sean-k-mooney, I am sorry but I must admit that I am new to openstack. I installed it on Ubunto 22.04.4 server version without setting up any special repository. How I can check it? openstack --version returns 5.8.0
13:10:08 bhola sean-k-mooney, horizon shows 22.1.1
13:11:01 sean-k-mooney honestly im sorry to say we likely dont have time to help and this proably somethign that hsould be brought up on the mailing list instead
13:11:36 sean-k-mooney bhola: we gennerally recommend isntalling openstack with an installer the ifrst time before trying a manual install
13:12:07 sean-k-mooney if you did the manual instlal there are two many way you could have incorrectly configured or installed it and if your using the disto packages they can have divergance form the upstream release
13:12:18 frickler sean-k-mooney: except our (openstack's) install guide tells a different story
13:12:27 frickler bhola: let's move to #openstack
13:12:45 sean-k-mooney frickler: the one that distors were ment to maintain not the project that were inhired form the docs project
13:13:17 frickler sean-k-mooney: yes, that's why I agree that the discussion should not in this channel
13:13:27 frickler +continue
13:13:40 bhola frickler, I am there now

Earlier   Later